Friday, March 9, 2012

That Dreaded Question

 Photo courtesy of Pinterest

Whether I'm with friends who I just saw last month or relatives / family friends I saw a year ago, they never fail to ask these questions:


Friend (nonchalantly) : "So...what's new with you? " - This question almost always translates to "Who are you dating now?"

My thought bubble when I'm asked this staple question is "Seriously? Haven't we just seen each other, like, four weeks ago? If you know me at all, you'd know my dating patterns and..wait, you're really asking me that question, really, again??"

Aunt / Family Friend : "Where's your boyfriend?" / "When's it your turn to walk down the aisle?"

I get this a lot when we get together with relatives or family friends. I guess it's easy for them to conclude that I should be settling down soon because all my brothers are married with kids so they probably thought I'll be next...or maybe they just can't think of anything else to ask me. It's one or the other. I don't mean to sound conceited but I think there's more to me than having a boyfriend or being engaged.

If I were a celebrity, I'd probably say "No comment" but since I'm not, a giggle followed by "I'm still waiting" would suffice. I then instantly excuse myself and run off to talk to someone else or change the topic - something totally unrelated like the traffic outside or how bad the weather is.

Don't get me wrong, I love these people and I never resent them when they ask, but it's just so ridiculously funny I had to point it out. I'm sure you've had a handful of this type of question as well.

I guess my only advice would be to smile and answer politely, until Mr. Right is already there to answer those pesky questions with you.

-oOo-

No comments:

Post a Comment